INFORMATION ON PALI LITERATURE AND PUBLICATIONS
OF THE PALI TEXT SOCIETY, 1996-97
Except where specified, all publications in this file are published by the Pali Text Society, and their ISBN numbers begin with 0 86013.
Select an option:
- The Contents and Structure of the Pali Canon and its Commentaries, with details of how to trace references and an overview of the length of the Canon's contents
- New Pali Text Society Publications since 1994-95 List of Issues, and forthcoming Publications
- Publications: The Pali Canon, its Commentaries and translations
- Post-Canonical Literature other than Commentaries on the Canon
- Non-Pali Texts Published by the Pali Text Society
- Journal of the Pali Text Society
- Reference and other ancillary works
- Series Listings
- About the Pali Text Society
- Ordering from the Pali Text Society
- Digital editions of the Pali Canon and Commentaries
ASCII version of diacritical marks for Pali and Sanskrit used in this file:
Long vowels are doubled: aa, ii, uu
Other diacritics precede the letters marked by them, so:
- vowels: .r .l
- retroflex consonants: .t .th .d .dh .n
- retroflex sibilant: .s
- palatal sibilant: "s
- palatal nasal: ~n
- guttural nasal: "n
- anusvara: .m
- visarga: .h
Examples: nirvaa.na, vi~n~naa.na.
THE CONTENTS AND STRUCTURE OF THE PALI CANON AND ITS COMMENTARIES
THE PALI CANON
There are two sets of abbreviations of the names of Pali texts: the, now standard, Critical Pali Dictionary system, and the obsolescent Pali Text Society Dictionary system. These are given in brackets, below, with the CPD abbreviation first when the two differ.
VINAYA PI.TAKA (Vin): 'Basket of (monastic) Discipline'; PTS edition in 5 volumes (PTS translation: Book of the Discipline):
- monastic code (paa.timokkha) for monks and for nuns, contained in the Suttavibha"nga, together with a commentary on that;
- the Khandhaka, dealing with the regulation of communal life, which is contained in the Mahaavagga and Cuulavagga. The Mahaavagga also contains some material on the life of the Buddha, etc.;
- the Parivaara, which is an abstract of the whole of the Vinaya Pi.taka, in dialogue form.
References are to volume and page number, eg. Vin III 59. Note that:
-Vin I and II (Mahaavagga and Cuulavagga) are translated as The Book of the Discipline vols IV and V.
-Vin III, IV (Suttavibha"nga) are translated as The Book of the Discipline vols I, II and III.
Also note that the translation, when it gives the Pali page number in the midst of the translation, gives it at the end of that page: eg  means p.1 ends here. In all other translations, it indicates where a page of the original starts.
SUTTA PI.TAKA, 'Basket of Discourses':
- Diigha Nikaaya (DN or D): 'Long Collection' of 34 Suttas; PTS edition in 3 volumes; PTS translation: Dialogues of the Buddha. References are usually given to the volume and page number of the PTS Pali text, e.g. DN III 33. To find this in translation, look at Dialogues of the Buddha vol. III, then find the section corresponding to p33 of the Pali by looking for  in the body of the text, which indicates where the translation of p33 starts. Some authors may simply refer to the Sutta number, eg. Diigha no.12; but as the Suttas are quite long in this collection, this is not a very exact reference.
- Majjhima Nikaaya (MN or M): 'Middle Length Collection' of 150 Suttas; PTS edition in 3 volumes'; PTS translation: Middle Length Sayings. The PTS translation volumes correspond to the first, second and third set of 50 Suttas, though the PTS Pali version groups them into 1-76, 77-100 and 101-150. Consequently vol. I of the text is translated in vol. I (for pp1-338 of text) and part of vol. II (for pp339-524) in the translation. References are sometimes made to the Sutta number, but it is more usual to refer to vol. and page number of the PTS Pali text, e.g. MN I 350, which can be found in vol.II of the translation: vol. no. and page no. of the Pali is given at top of the page, and the Pali page number is also included in the text of the translation: .
- Sa.myutta Nikaaya (SN or S): 'Connected Collection' of 7,762 Suttas, grouped in 56 sections (sa.myuttas) according to subject matter; PTS edition in 5 volumes; PTS translation: The Book of Kindred Sayings. References are usually to volume and page number of the Pali text (e.g. SN III 79). These are given in the translation at the top of the left hand page, but exact Pali page-breaks are not indicated within the text of the translation. References are also given to section and Sutta number- which as the Suttas in this collection are each fairly short, is a reasonably exact way of giving a reference (though Sutta numbers differ in different editions). For these types of reference, see top of right hand page of translation (though this does not give the vol. number). An example: S.II.XV.I. 2. For this, look at Kindred Sayings vol. II, then look at contents page for 'chapter' (sa.myutta) XV, section I, then go to this part of the translation till 2 is found.
- A"nguttara Nikaaya (AN or A): 'Single-item Upwards Collection' of 9,550 Suttas, grouped according to the number of items dealt with in the Suttas, from one to eleven; PTS edition 5 volumes; PTS translation: The Book of Gradual Sayings. References are usually to volume and page number of the Pali text (e.g. AN IV 93). These are given in the translation at the top of the left hand page, but exact Pali page-breaks are not indicated within the text of the translation. (except in volume V). References are also given to the sutta number, eg. A.VI.VI.63: this can be found in the sixes (thus in Gradual Sayings vol.III- look at contents to find chapter VI of the sixes, then locate VI.VI.63 by looking at the top of the right hand page, and then down to where 63 starts.
- Khuddaka Nikaaya: 'Collection of Little Texts': 15 separate miscellaneous texts, many in verse form, which contain both some of the earliest and latest material in the Canon:
- Khuddakapaa.tha (Khp or Kh): 'Little readings': a short collection of texts for recitation; PTS edition in one volume, with its commentary; PTS translation: The Minor Readings. Reference usually by Sutta number and verse number.
- Dhammapada (Dhp or Dh): 'Verses on Dhamma', a popular collection of 423 pithy verses of a largely ethical nature; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation available 1997. Reference by verse number.
- Udaana (Ud): 'Verses of Uplift': 80 short Suttas based on inspired verses; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation Verses of Uplift. Reference to page number of Pali text (e.g. Ud 54), or chapter and Sutta number.
- Itivuttaka (It): 'As It Was Said': 112 short Suttas; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation: As it Was Said. Reference to page number of Pali text (e.g. It 12), or chapter and Sutta number.
- Suttanipaata (Sn): 'Group of Discourses': a collection of 71 verse Suttas, including what some see as very early material, such as the A.t.thakavagga; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation: Group of Discourses II and (paperback) The Rhinoceros Horn. References to verse number, or chapter, Sutta and verse number.
- Vimaanavatthu (Vv): 'Stories of the Mansions', on heavenly rebirths; PTS edition in one volume, with the following; most recent PTS translation: Stories of the Mansions. Reference to chapter, Sutta and verse number.
- Petavatthu (Pv): 'Stories of the Departed': on ghostly rebirths; PTS edition in one volume, with last item; most recent PTS translation: Stories of the Departed. Reference to chapter, Sutta and verse number.
- Theragaathaa (Th or Thag): 'Elders' Verses', telling how a number of early monks attained enlightenment; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translations: Elders' Verses and Psalms of the Brethren. Reference to verse number.
- Theriigaathaa (Thii or Thig): 'Elders' Verses': , telling how a number of early nuns attained enlightenment; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translations: Elders' Verses and Psalms of the Sisters, both in Poems of Early Buddhist Nuns. Reference to verse number.
- Jaataka: a collection of 547 'Birth Stories' dealing with previous lives of the Buddha, with the aim of illustrating points in morality. The full stories are told in the commentary (JA), based on the verses and small sections of prose (J), which are canonical: PTS edition of text and commentary in 6 volumes; PTS translation of text and commentary: Stories of the Buddha's Former Births, with Story of Gotama Buddha giving the Buddha's life, from Vol.I of the commentary. Reference to volume and page number of Pali text, or to story number.
- Niddesa: Mahaa-Niddesa (NiddI or Nd1) and Culla-Niddesa (NiddII or Nd2): 'Exposition', in the form of a (canonical) commentary on part of the Suttanipaata; PTS edition in 3 volumes; no PTS translation available. Reference to page number of Pali text.
- Pa.tisambhidaamagga (Pa.tis or Ps): 'The Path of Discrimination', an Abhidhamma-style analysis of certain points of doctrine and practice; PTS edition in 2 volumes; PTS translation: The Path of Discrimination. Reference to volume and page number of Pali text.
- Apadaana (Ap): 'Stories' on past lives of monks and nuns whose verses are given in the Theragaathaa and Theriigaathaa; PTS edition in 2 volumes; PTS translation of part of this text available 1997.
- Buddhava.msa (Bv): 'Chronicle of the Buddhas', on 24 previous Buddhas; PTS edition in one volume, with the next item; PTS translation: The Chronicle of the Buddhas. Reference by section and verse number.
- Cariyaapi.taka (Cp): 'The Basket of Conduct', on the conduct of Gotama in previous lives, building up the 'perfections' of a Bodhisatta; PTS edition in one volume, with the last item; PTS translation: The Basket of Conduct. Reference by section and verse number.
ABHIDHAMMA PI.TAKA, 'Basket of Further Dhamma': fine-grained analysis of experience, which seeks to systematise Sutta teachings, expressing them in psychologically and philosophically exact language:
- Dhammasa"nga.nii (Dhs): 'Ennumeration of Dhammas': outline of the Theravaada dhamma list, with definitions of each, etc.; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation: Buddhist Psychological Ethics. Reference by page number of Pali text, or discussion-item number.
- Vibha"nga (Vibh or Vbh): '(The Book of) Analysis', dealing with various dhammas and groups of dhammas; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation (of the Burmese edition): The Book of Analysis. Reference by page number of Pali text.
- Dhaatukathaa (Dhaatuk or Dhtk), discussing verious types of 'elements': PTS edition in one volume, with commentary; PTS translation: Discourse on Elements. Reference by page number of Pali text.
- Puggalapa~n~natti (Pp or Pug): 'Concept of Persons', on various ways of classifying types of people; PTS edition in one volume, with its commentary; PTS translation: A Designation of Human Types. Reference by page number of Pali text, or chapter and section number.
- Kathaavatthu (Kv or Kvu): 'Book of Discourses', detailing debates on various points of doctrine, with non-acceptible positions later being attributed, by the commentary, to non-Theravaadin schools; PTS edition in one volume; PTS translation; Points of Controversy. Reference by page number of Pali text, or chapter and section number.
- Yamaka (Yam): ''(Book of) Pairs': a book designed to test a student's grasp of Abhidhamma thinking; PTS edition in 2 volumes; no PTS translation available. Reference by page number of Pali text.
- Pa.t.thaana (Pa.t.th or Pt): 'Conditional Relations': which goes into great detail on the various kinds of relationships existing between dhammas; PTS edition (incomplete): Tika-pa.t.thaana (Tikap or Tkp) in three volumes, with its commentary and Duka-pa.t.thaana (Dukap or Dkp), in one volume; the (incomplete) PTS translation corresponding to the first (it is actually of the Burmese edition) is Conditional Relations, the second has no PTS translation. Reference by page number of Pali text.
Guide to Pali Canon, and selected translations, at the Access to Insight web-site
OVERVIEW OF LENGTH OF CANONICAL TEXTS
Length in pages of the PTS editions of the text is as follows, with the overall length being ~12800 pages, equivalent to around 30 million characters:
- VINAYA PI.TAKA: 1511:
- Mahaavagga and Cuulavagga: 668
- Suttavibha"nga: 617
- Parivaara: 226
- SUTTA PI.TAKA: ~8638:
- Diigha Nikaaya: 904
- Majjhima Nikaaya: 1092
- Sa.myutta Nikaaya: 1686 (admittedly a somewhat arbitrary figure, as it depends on how the repetitions of the manuscript are expanded)
- A"nguttara Nikaaya: 1840 -- (Total for first four Nikaayas: 5522)
- Khuddaka Nikaaya: ~3116:
- Khuddakapaa.tha: 9
- Dhammapada: 119
- Udaana: 94
- Itivuttaka: 124
- Suttanipaata: 223
- Vimaanavatthu: 135
- Petavatthu: 95
- Theragaathaa: 115
- Theriigaathaa: 51
- Jaataka: with commentary 3105; canonical verses, perhaps a fifth of this, ~600
- Niddesa: Mahaa-Niddesa 510, Culla-Niddesa 287: total 797
- Pa.tisambhidaamagga: 442
- Apadaana: 615
- Buddhava.msa: 102
- Cariyaapi.taka: 37
- ABHIDHAMMA PI.TAKA: 2657 :
- Dhammasa"nga.nii: 264
- Vibha"nga: 436
- Dhaatukathaa: 113
- Puggalapa~n~natti: 74
- Kathaavatthu: 628
- Yamaka: 593
- Pa.t.thaana: 549 (but the Pali Publication Board edition indicates ~2800 for the fuller text of the Burmese editions, which are themselves abbreviated).
THE COMMENTARIES (A.T.THAKATHAA)
In the following, the canonical text title is followed by that of its commentary, and the title of the PTS translation of this commentary, where it exists. In the system adapted by the Pali Text Society Dictionary, the abbreviation for commentary for a text is the text abbreviation followed by A., e.g.: D.A. = commentary on Diigha Nikaaya. The commentary to the Dhammasa"nga.nii also has the abbreviation Asl. In the system of the Critical Pali Dictionary (to be adopted in the new edition of the Pali Text Society Dictionary), there are separate abbreviations for the names of many of the commentaries (given below); others add -a or -.t, for a commentary (a.t.thakathaa) or sub-commentary (.tikaa) respectively.
Vinaya Pi.taka; Samantapaasaadikaa (Sp), and Ka"nkhaavitara.nii (Kkh) (on Paatimokkha)
- Diigha Nikaaya; Suma"ngalavilaasinii (Sv)
- Majjhima Nikaaya; Papa~ncasuudanii (Ps)
- Sa.myutta Nikaaya; Saaratthappakaasinii (Spk)
- A"nguttara Nikaaya; Manorathapuura.nii (Mp)
- Khuddaka Nikaaya:
- Khuddakapaa.tha; Paramatthajotikaa (I) (PjI)
- Dhammapada; Dhammapada.t.thakathaa (Dh-a); Buddhist Legends
- Udaana; Paramatthadiipanii (I) (Ud-a); Udaana Commentary Translation, I and II
- Itivuttaka; Paramatthadiipanii (II) (It-a)
- Suttanipaata; Paramatthajotikaa (II) (Sn-a)
- Vimaanavatthu; Paramatthadiipanii (III) (Vv-a); Vimaana Stories
- Petavatthu; Paramatthadiipanii (IV) (Pv-a); Peta Stories
- Theragaathaa; Paramatthdiipanii (V) (Th-a)
- Theriigaathaa; Paramatthadiipanii (VI) (Thii-a)
- Jaataka; Jaatakatthava.n.nanaa (JA); Stories of the Buddha's Former Births
- Niddesa; Saddhammapajjotikaa (Nidd-a)
- Pa.tisambhidaamagga; Saddhammappakaasinii (Pa.tis-a)
- Apadaana; Visuddhajanavilaasinii (Ap-a)
- Buddhava.msa; Madhuratthavilaasinii (Bv-a); Clarifier of Sweet Meaning
- Cariyaapi.taka; Paramatthadiipanii (VII) (Cp-a)
- Dhammasa"nga.nii; A.t.thasaalinii (As or Dhs-a); The Expositor
- Vibha"nga; Sammohavinodanii (Vibh-a); Dispeller of Delusion
- Dhaatukathaa; Pa~ncappakara.natthakathaa (Dhaatuk-a)
- Puggalapa~n~natti; Pa~ncappakara.natthakathaa (Pp-a)
- Kathaavatthu; Pa~ncappakara.natthakathaa (Kv-a); Debates Commentary
- Yamaka; Pa~ncappakara.natthakathaa (Yam-a)
- Pa.t.thaana; Pa~ncappakara.natthakathaa (Pa.t.th-a)
The only sub-commentaries published so far are the Liinattha-pakaasinii, on the Diigha Nikaaya, part of the A"nguttara-nikaaya-.tiikaa, and the Abhidhammatthavibhaavinii-.tiikaa (Abhi-s-mh-.t : on this, see entry on Later Pali Literature below). There are no English translations of these.
NEW PUBLICATIONS SINCE 1994-5 LIST OF ISSUES
Titles followed by date of publication, ISBN suffix to general 0 86013 code, and price in £ stirling:
Indexes to the Dhammapada, 1996; 337 0; £12.00
Jinakaalamaalii Index, 1994; 324 9; £13.00
Index to the Mahaaniddesa, 1995; 310 9; £ 13.00
Mahaasuutras vol. I, 1995; 319 2; £34.25
Index to the Vinaya-Pi.taka, 1996; 338 9; £ 22.50
A"nguttara-nikaaya-.tiikaa, 1996; 346 X; £16.50
Udaana Commentary translation I, 1994; 316 8; £ 25.00
Udaana Commentary translation II, 1995; 317 6; £ 25.00
Journal of the Pali Text Society Vol. XXI, 1995; 332 X; £17.75
Journal of the Pali Text Society Vol. XXII, 1996; 333 8; £17.75
Complete set of the Journal of the Pali Text Society (vols I-XXII); 1996; 351 6; £355.00
Catalogue of the Nevill Collection VII, 1995; 334 6; £27.75
K.R. Norman: Collected Papers Vol. V, 1994; 322 2; £19.50
K.R.Norman Collected Papers Vol. VI, 1996; 336 2; £19.50
O. von Hinuber Selected Papers, 1995; 323 0; £19.50
VOLUMES CURRENTLY BEING PREPARED FOR PUBLICATION
Definite publication dates are not yet available for these volumes
Mahaasuutras volumes II and III
New Paali-English Dictionary
Subodhaala.mkaara with .tiikaa
Therii-apadaana and translation
Theriigaathaa commentary and translation
Paali Grammar by V. Perniola S.J. (English translation)
Sagaathavagga and translation
Poems of Early Buddhist Monks (paperback)
Itivuttaka Commentary translation
THE PALI CANON, ITS COMMENTARIES, AND TRANSLATIONS
Vinayapi.taka, ed. H. Oldenberg. Complete set; 253 6; £91.75:
vol. I: Mahaavagga, 1879, reprinted 1969; 190 4; £21.95
vol. II: Cuulavagga, 1880, reprinted 1977,1995; 191 2; £19.50
vol. III: Suttavibha"nga part I, and Samantapaasaadikaa, Baahira-nidaana (see separate entry, below) 1881, reprinted 1993 with
vol.IV: Suttavibha"nga part II, 1882; 192 0; £19.50
vol. V: Parivaara, 1883, reprinted 1982; 194 7; £16.25
Index to the Vinaya-Pi.taka, Ousaka, Yamazi and Norman, 1996; 338 9; £22.50
2. Text translation:
The Book of the Discipline, tr. I.B. Horner. Complete set; 254 4; £127.50:
vol. I, Suttavibha"nga, 1938, repr. 1992; 037 1; £22.75
vol. II, Suttavibha"nga, 1940, repr. 1993; 038 X; £22.75
vol. III, Suttavibha"nga, 1942, repr. 1993; 039 8: £22.75; (vols I-III translate text vols III-IV)
vol. IV, Mahaavagga, 1951, reprinted 1993; 040 1; £22.75 (translation of text. vol.I)
vol. V, Cuulavagga, 1952, reprinted 1993; 044 4; £22.75 (translation of text vol.II)
vol. VI, Parivaara, 1966, reprinted 1993; 049 5; £22.75 (translation of text vol.V)
Samantapaasaadikaa, ed. J. Takakusu and M. Nagai. Complete set; 247 1; £102.75:
vol. I, 1924, reprinted 1975; 158 0; £17.75
vol. II, 1927, reprinted 1969; 159 9; £15.75
vol. III, 1930, reprinted 1968; 160 2; £14.25
vol. IV, 1934, reprinted 1979; 161 0; £14.25
vol. V, 1938, reprinted 1966; 162 9; £14.25
vol. VI, 1947, reprinted 1982; 163 7; £8.00
vol. VII, 1947, reprinted 1981; 164 5; £12.50
vol. VIII, Indexes by H. Kopp, 1977: 065 7; £18.50
Samantapaasaadikaa, Baahira-nidaana (Vinaya-Nidaana), ed. and tr. N.A. Jayawickrama, 1962, reprinted 1986; 045 2; £18.50
Ka"nkhaavitara.nii, (Paatimokkha Commentary) ed. D.A.L. Maskell, 1956, reprinted 1981; 115 7; £21.25
4. Commentary translation:
The Inception of Discipline, tr. N.A. Jayawickrama, 1962: translation of vol. I of the commentary
DIIGHA NIKAAYA (Also referred to by Buddhaghosa as the Diighaagama).
Diigha Nikaaya. Complete set; 237 4; £50.95:
vol. I, ed. T.W. Rhys Davids and J.E. Carpenter, 1889; reprinted 1983, 1995; 096 7; £16.50
vol. II, ed. T.W. Rhys Davids and J.E. Carpenter, 1903; reprinted 1982, 1995; 097 5; £20.00
vol. III, ed. J.E. Carpenter, 1910; reprinted 1992; 098 3; £19.00
2. Text translation:
Dialogues of the Buddha, tr. T.W. and Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids. Complete set; 258 7; £51.95:
vol. I, tr. T.W. Rhys Davids, 1899; reprinted 1973, 1995; 033 9; £18.50
vol. II, tr. T.W. and Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1910; 4th edn. reprinted 1989,1995; 034 7; £18.50
vol. III, tr. Mrs Rhys Davids, 1921; reprinted 1991, 1995; 035 5; £17.25
A more recent, non-PTS translation (with some cutting out of repetitions) is:
The Long Discourses of the Buddha, translated in one volume, Maurice Walshe, Wisdom Publications, Boston, USA, 1995, £22.95
Translations of three Suttas of the Diigha Nikaaya, and their commentaries, published by the Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka (available from Wisdom Books: see UKABS page of web-sites of publishers for information), are:
The All-embracing Net of Views: The Brahmajaala Sutta and its Commentaries, tr. Bhikkhu Bodhi, 1992, ISBN 955-24-0045-7, £13.50
The Discourse on the Fruits of Recluseship: The Saama~n~naphala Sutta and Its Commentaries, tr. Bhikkhu Bodhi, Sri Lanka, 1989, £9.00.
The Great Discourse on Causation: The Mahaanidaana Sutta and its Commentaries, tr. Bhikkhu Bodhi, 1984, £9.00
Suma"ngalavilaasinii: Complete set; 250 1; £56.75:
vol. I, ed. T.W. Rhys Davids and J.E. Carpenter, 1886, 2nd edn. 1968; 174 2; £20.50
vol. II, ed. W. Stede, 1931, 2nd edn. 1970; 175 0; £20.50
vol. III, ed. W. Stede, 1932, 2nd edn. 1971; 176 9; £20.50
Diigha Nikaaya sub-commentary (atthakathaa-.tiikaa) (Liinatthapakaasinii), ed. Lily de Silva, 1970 , Complete set; 238 2; £69.00:
vol. I, 1995; 099 1; £30.25
vol. II; 100 9; £24.25
vol. III; 101 7; £19.75
MAJJHIMA NIKAAYA (Also referred to by Buddhaghosa as the Majjhimaagama).
Majjhima-Nikaaya. Complete set; 242 0; £72.75:
vol. I, ed. V. Trenckner, 1888; reprinted 1993; 123 8; £28.50
vol. II, ed. R. Chalmers, 1896-98; reprinted 1993; 124 6; £17.00
vol. III, ed. R. Chalmers, 1899-1902; reprinted 1977, 1994; 125 4; £20.00
vol. IV, Indexes by Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1925; reprinted 1991; 126 2; £14.25
2. Text translation:
[Further Dialogues of the Buddha], tr. R. Chalmers. Not available
Middle Length Sayings, tr. I.B. Horner. Complete set; 262 5; £59.75:
vol. I, 1954; reprinted 1993, 1995; 020 7: £21.95
vol. II, 1957; reprinted 1989, 1994; 021 5; £21.95
vol. III, 1959; reprinted 1993; 022 3: £21.95
An alternative, non-PTS, translation is:
The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, translated in one volume. Original translation by Bhikkhu ~Naa.namoli, edited and revised by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Wisdom Publications, Boston, USA, 1995, £52.
A translations of the first Sutta of the Majjhima Nikaaya, and its commentary, published by the Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka (available from Wisdom Books: see UKABS page on web-sites of publishers for information), is:
The Discourse on the Root of Existence: The Muulapariyaaya Sutta and Its Commentaries, tr. Bhikkhu Bodhi, 1992, £5.25
Papa~ncasuudanii. Complete set; 245 5; £81.50:
vol. I, ed. J.H. Woods and D. Kosambi, 1922; reprinted 1983; 142 4; £19.50
vol. II, ed. J.H. Woods and D. Kosambi, 1928; reprinted 1979; 143 2; £19.50
vol. III, ed. I.B. Horner, 1933; reprinted 1976 ; 144 0; £27.50
vol. IV, ed. I.B. Horner, 1937, repr. 1977 as one vol. with vol. V, ed. I.B. Horner, 1938; reprinted 1977; 145 9; £19.50
SA.MYUTTA NIKAAYA (Also referred to by Buddhaghosa as Sa.myuttaagama).
Sa.myutta-Nikaaya, ed. L. Feer. Complete set; 248 X; £105.75:
vol. I, 1884; reprinted 1991; 165 3; £17.75
vol. II, 1888; reprinted 1989, 1994; 166 1; £17.75
vol. III, 1890; reprinted 1975; 167 X; £17.75
vol. IV, 1894; reprinted 1990; 168 8; £22.75
vol. V, 1898; reprinted 1976; 169 6; £23.50
vol. VI, Indexes by Mrs. C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1904; reprinted 1980; 170 X; £16.25
2. Text translation:
The Book of the Kindred Sayings, tr. Mrs. C.A.F. Rhys Davids and F.L. Woodward, Complete set; 256 0; £77.50
vol. I, tr. Mrs Rhys Davids, 1917; reprinted 1993; 004 5; £19.00
vol. II, tr. Mrs Rhys Davids, 1922; reprinted 1990; 007 X; £14.25
vol. III, tr. Woodward, 1924; reprinted 1992,1995; 010 X; £15.00
vol. IV, tr. Woodward, 1927; reprinted 1993; 011 8; £19.00
vol. V, tr. Woodward, 1930; reprinted 1994; 012 6: £19.00
Saaratthappakaasinii. F.L. Woodward. Complete set; 249 8; £56.95:
vol. I, 1929; reprinted 1977; 171 8; £19.00
vol. II, 1932; reprinted 1977; 172 6; £21.25
vol. III, 1937; reprinted 1977; 173 4; £21.95
A"NGUTTARA NIKAAYA (also referred to by Buddhaghosa as A"nguttaraagama, and in para-canonical works as Ekuttarika).
A"nguttara-Nikaaya. Complete set, various dates; 234 X; £117.75:
vol. I, ed. R. Morris, 1885, 2nd edn. 1961,1989; 067 3; £19.75
vol. II, ed. R. Morris, 1888; reprinted 1976,1995; 068 1; £19.75
vol. III, ed. E. Hardy, 1897; reprinted 1976,1994; 078 9; £22.75
vol. IV, ed. E. Hardy, 1899; reprinted 1979; 079 7; £22.75
vol. V, ed. E. Hardy, 1900; reprinted 1979; 080 0; £22.75
vol. VI, Indexes by M. Hunt and Mrs C.A.F., Rhys Davids, 1910; reprinted 1981; 081 9; £14.50
2. Text translation:
The Book of the Gradual Sayings, tr. F.L.Woodward and E.M. Hare. Complete Set; 255 2; £85.50:
vol. I, tr. Woodward, 1932; reprinted 1989,1995; 014 2; £18.75
vol. II, tr. Woodward, 1933; reprinted 1992,1995; 015 0: 317.00
vol. III, tr. Hare, 1934; reprinted 1988,1995; 016 9; £18.75
vol. IV, tr. Hare, 1935; reprinted 1989,1995; 017 7; £18.75
vol. V, tr. Woodward, 1936; reprinted 1994; 018 5; £17.00
Manorathapuura.nii. Complete set; 243 9; £87.25:
vol. I, ed. M. Walleser, 1924, 2nd edn. 1973; 127 0; £22.75
vol. II, ed. M. Walleser and H. Kopp, 1930; reprinted 1968; 128 9; £22.75
vol. III, ed. H. Kopp, 1936; reprinted 1966; 129 7; £22.75
vol. IV, ed. H. Kopp, 1940; reprinted 1979; 130 0; £14.25
vol. V, ed. H. Kopp, 1957; reprinted 1977; 131 9; £12.50
Text and Commentary:
Khuddakapaa.tha with Commentary (Commentary: Paramatthajotikaa I), ed. Helmer Smith, 1915; reprinted 1978; 119 X; £17.00
Minor Anthologies vol. I Dhammapada and Khuddakapaa.tha, tr. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1931; reprint due 1997
Text and Commentary translation:
The Minor Readings and The Illustrator of Ultimate Meaning, tr. Ven. ~Naa.namoli, 1960; reprinted 1991; 023 1; £18.50
[Dhammapada, ed. Ven. Suriyagoda Sumangala, 1914]. Not available
Dhammapada, ed. O. von Hinuber and K.R. Norman, 1994,1995; 313 3; £12.00
Indexes to the Dhammapada, Yamazaki, Ousaka and Miyao, 1995; 337 0; £12.00
Minor Anthologies vol. I Dhammapada and Khuddakapaa.tha, tr. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1931. Not available.
The Word of the Doctrine (Dhammapada), tr. with an introduction and notes by K.R.Norman, 1997; 3335 4
Non-PTS translations include:
The Dhammapada, tr. John Ross Carter and M. Palihawadana, New York, 1987.
The Dhammapada: Paali Text and Translation With Stories in Brief and Notes, (includes brief extracts from commentary), Naarada Thera, 1978, Buddhist Missionary Society, 123 Jalan Berhala, 50470, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Dhammapada: The Buddha's Path of Wisdom, translated by Acharya Buddharakkhita, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books (see UKABS opening page for details), 1985, £3.05.
Dhammapada Commentary (Dhammapada-a.t.thakathaa), ed. H.C. Norman. Complete set; 236 6; £81.75:
vol. I, 1906, 1909; reprinted 1993; 090 8; £24.25
vol. II, 1911; reprinted 1993; 091 6; £17.75
vol. III, 1912; reprinted 1993; 092 4; £25.25
vol. IV, 1914; reprinted 1970 as one vol. with vol. V, Indexes by L.S. Tailang, 1915; reprinted 1992; 093 2; £21.25
Buddhist Legends, tr. E.W. Burlingame, 1921; reprinted 1990 as 3 vols. Complete set; 057 6; £48.50:
vol. I; reprinted 1990, 1995; 328 1; £17.00
vol. II; reprinted 1990, 1995; 329 X; £17.00
vol. III; reprinted 1990, 1995; 330 3; £17.00
Udaana, ed. P. Steinthal, 1885; reprinted 1982; 185 8; £8.00
Minor Anthologies vol. II, Udaana: Verses of Uplift and Itivuttaka: As it was said, tr. F.L. Woodward, 1935; reprinted 1985; 036 3; £14.25
The Udaana, tr. P. Masefield, 1994; 311 7; £18.50
The Udaana: Inspired Utterances of the Buddha, translated by John D. Ireland, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books (see UKABS opening page for details), 1990, £7.40
Udaana Commentary (Paramatthadiipanii I), ed. F.L. Woodward, 1926; reprinted 1977; 186 6; £25.75
Udaana Commentary, tr. P. Masefield. Complete set; 344 3; £45.50:
vol. I, 1994; 316 8; £25.00
vol. II, 1995; 317 6; £25.00
Itivuttaka, ed. E. Windisch, 1889; reprinted 1975; 103 3; £11.75
Minor Anthologies vol. II, Udaana: Verses of Uplift and Itivuttaka: As it was said, tr. F.L. Woodward, 1935; reprinted 1985; 036 3; £14.25
The Itivuttaka: The Buddha's Sayings, traslated by John D.Ireland, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books (see UKABS opening page for details), 1991, £6.50
Itivuttaka Commentary (Paramatthadiipanii II), ed. M.M. Bose. Complete set; 239 0; £31.25:
vol. I, 1934; reprinted 1977 as one vol. with vol. II, 1936; 104 1; £21.25
vol. III, Indexes by H. Kopp, 1980; 105 X; £14.50
Suttanipaata, ed. Dines Andersen and Helmer Smith, 1913; reprinted 1990; 177 7: £15.25
[The Group of Discourses, tr. K.R. Norman with alternative translations by I.B. Horner and Ven. Walpola Rahula, 1984]. Not available
Paperback version: The Rhinoceros Horn, tr. K.R. Norman, etc., 1985; 154 8; £7.00
The Group of Discourses, vol. II, tr. K.R. Norman (with notes), 1992,1995; 303 6; £28.00
[Woven Cadences, tr. E.M. Hare, 2nd edn. 1947]. Not available
Suttanipaata Commentary (Paramatthajotikaa II), ed. Helmer Smith. Complete set; 251 X; £46.25:
vol. I, 1916; reprinted 1989; 178 5; £20.00
vol. II, 1917; reprinted 1977; 179 3; £14.50
vol. III, Indexes, 1918; reprinted 1984; 180 7; £17.00
[Vimaanavatthu. E.R. Gooneratne, 1886]. Not available
[Petavatthu. J. Minayeff, 1888]. Not available
Vimaanavatthu and Petavatthu. N.A. Jayawickrama, 1977; 064 9; £17.75
Minor Anthologies vol. IV [Vimaanavatthu: Stories of the Mansions, tr. J. Kennedy and Petavatthu: Stories of the Departed, tr. H.S. Gehman, 1942], Not available
Minor Anthologies vol. IV, Vimaanavatthu: Stories of the Mansions and Petavatthu: Stories of the Departed, tr. I.B. Horner 1974; reprinted 1993; 073 8; £10.00
[Vimaanavatthu Commentary (Paramatthadiipanii III), E. Hardy, 1901]. Not available
Vimaana Stories, tr. P. Masefield, 1989; 272 2; £35.50
[Petavatthu Commentary: (Paramatthadiipanii IV), ed. E. Hardy, 1894]. Not available
Peta Stories, tr. U Ba Kyaw and P. Masefield, 1980; 075 4; £35.50
Theragaathaa, ed. H. Oldenberg, and Theriigaathaa, ed. R. Pischel, 1883, 2nd edn. 1966 with Appendixes by K.R. Norman and L. Alsdorf; reprinted 1990; 181 5; £17.00
Elders' Verses, prose tr. K.R. Norman. Complete set; 259 5; £37.40:
vol. I, 1969; reprinted 1990; 029 0; £19.50
vol. II, 1971; reprinted 1992,1995; 031 2; £19.50
Psalms of the Early Buddhists, verse tr. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids (which also contains short extracts from the commentaries): The Sisters, 1909 and The Brethren, 2nd edn. 1937; reprinted 1980, 1994; 076 2; £36.75
Poems of Early Buddhist Nuns, verse tr. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids and prose tr. K.R. Norman, 1989 (is the portion of the above two translations which deal with the Theriigaathaa); 289 7; £7.00
Theragaathaa Commentary (Paramatthadiipanii V), ed. F.L. Woodward. Complete set; 252 8; £46.75:
vol. I, 1940; reprinted 1971,1995; 182 3; £17.00
vol. II, 1952; reprinted 1977; 183 1; £17.00
vol. III, 1959; reprinted 1984; 184 X; £17.00
[Theriigaathaa Commentary (Paramatthadiipanii VI), ed. E. Muller, 1893]. Not available
Text and Commentary:
Jaataka with Commentary: (Commentary = Jaatakattha-va.n.nanaa), ed. V. Fausboll. Complete set; 240 4; £155.00:
vol. I, 1877; reprinted 1990; 106 8; £24.95
vol. II, 1879; reprinted 1990; 107 6; £24.95
vol. III, 1883; reprinted 1990,1995; 108 4; £24.95
vol. IV, 1887; reprinted 1991,1995; 109 2; £24.95
vol. V, 1891; reprinted 1991; 110 6; £24.95
vol. VI, 1896; reprinted 1990; 111 4; £24.95
vol. VII, Indexes by Dines Andersen, 1897; reprinted 1992; 112 2; £16.50
Text and Commentary translations:
Ku.naala-jaataka, ed. and tr. W.B. Bollee, 1970; 050 9; £12.75
The Jaataka or Stories of the Buddha's Former Births, tr. by various hands under the editorship of E.B. Cowell, 6 vols 1895-1907 and Index 1913, all reprinted 1990. Complete set; 260 9; £74.50:
original vol. I, tr. R. Chalmers, 1995 and vol. II, tr. W.H.D. Rouse; 053 3; £26.25
original vol. III, tr. H.T. Francis and R.A. Neil, 1995 and vol. IV, tr. W.H.D. Rouse; 054 1: £26.25
original vol. V, tr. H.T. Francis and vol. VI, tr. E.B. Cowell and W.H.D. Rouse and Index volume; 055 X; £26.25
The Story of Gotama Buddha, tr. N.A. Jayawickrama, 1990; 293 5; £7.00: paperback translation of vol.I of the Jaataka with Commentary, which is the Nidaanakatha, a purely commentarial section on the life of the Buddha
Niddesa, Mahaa-, ed. L. de La Vallee Poussin and E.J. Thomas, 2 vols, 1916, 1917; reprinted as one vol. 1978; 136 X; £26.50
Index to the Mahaaniddesa, L.S. Cousins, 1995; 310 9; £13.00
Niddesa, Cuula-, ed. W. Stede, 1918; reprinted 1988; 277 3; £17.50
Niddesa Commentary (Saddhammapajjotikaa), ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta. Complete set; 343 5; £47.00:
vol. I, 1931; reprinted 1980 as one vol. with vol. II, 1939; reprinted 1980; 137 8; £24.95
vol. III, 1940; reprinted 1989; 138 6; £24.95
Pa.tisambhidaamagga, ed. A.C. Taylor, 2 vols, 1905, 1907; reprinted as one vol. 1979; 146 7; £24.25
The Path of Discrimination, tr. Ven. ~Naa.namoli, Introduction by A.K. Warder, 1982; reprinted 1991, 1996; 074 6; £30.50
Pa.tisambhidaamagga Commentary (Saddhammappakaasinii), ed. C.V. Joshi . Complete set; 246 3; £37.40:
vol. I, 1933; reprinted 1979; 147 5; £20.25
vol. II; reprinted 1979 as one vol. with vol. III, 1947; 148 3; £20.25
[Apadaana, ed. M.E. Lilley, vol. I, 1925; vol. II, 1927]. Not available
Apadaana Commentary (Visuddhajanavilaasinii), ed. C.E. Godakumbura, 1954; 280 3; £26.25
[Buddhava.msa and Cariyaapi.taka, ed. R. Morris,1882]. Not available
Buddhava.msa and Cariyaapi.taka, ed. N.A.Jayawickrama, 1974,1995; 085 1; £15.50
[Minor Anthologies vol. III, Buddhava.msa: The Lineage of the Buddhas and Cariyaapi.taka: Collection of Ways of Conduct, tr. B.C. Law, 1938]. Not available
Minor Anthologies vol. III , Buddhava.msa: Chronicle of Buddhas and Cariyaapi.taka: Basket of Conduct, tr. I.B. Horner, 1975; reprinted 1975; 072 X; £12.75
Buddhava.msa Commentary (Madhurattha-vilaasinii), ed. I.B. Horner, 1946; reprinted 1978; 086 X; £19.75
Cariyaapi.taka Commentary (Paramatthadiipanii VII), ed. D.L. Barua, 1939; reprinted with Indexes by H. Kopp, 1979; 087 8; £21.95
Commentary to Buddhava.msa translation:
Clarifier of the Sweet Meaning, tr. I.B. Horner, 1978; 069 X; £27.50
Dhammasa"nga.nii, ed. E. Muller, 1885; reprinted 1978; 094 0; £18.50
(Also known as the Dhammasa.mgaha).
Dhammasa"nga.nii, Index, by Tabata, Nonome and Bando, 1987; 270 6; £11.50
Buddhist Psychological Ethics, tr. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1900, 3rd edn. reprint 1993; 62 2; £23.00
Atthasaalinii, ed. E. Muller, 1897, revised reprint with indexes by L.S.Cousins and I.B.Horner, 1979; 083 5; £26.50
The Expositor, tr. Pe Maung Tin, 2 vols, 1920, 1921; reprinted as one vol. 1976; 070 3; £27.50
Vibha"nga ed. Mrs. C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1904; 188 2; £24.00
The Book of Analysis, tr. Ven. U Thittila, 1969; reprinted 1988 IA169; 030 4; £33.00
Vibha"nga Commentary: (Sammohavinodanii), ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta, 1923; reprinted 1980; 189 0; £27.50
Dispeller of Delusion, tr. Bhikkhu ~Naa.namoli, rev. by L.S.Cousins et al.. Complete set; 345 1; £47.00:
vol. I, 1987; 155 6; £24.75
vol. II, 1991; 291 9; £24.75
Text and Commentary:
Dhaatukathaa with Commentary:, ed. E.R. Gooneratne, 1892; reprinted with corrections 1987; 095 9; £10.00
Text and Commentary translation:
Discourse on Elements, tr. Ven. U Narada [of Rangoon], 1962; reprinted 1977,1995; 025 8; £14.25
Text and Commentary:
Puggalapa~n~natti, ed. R. Morris, 1883, 2nd edn. 1972, as one vol. with Puggalapa~n~natti Commentary, ed. G. Landsberg and Mrs. C.A.F. Rhys Davids, Journal 1914; 156 4; £17.25
A Designation of Human Types, tr. B.C. Law, 1922; reprinted 1992; 009 6; £8.95
Kathaavatthu, ed. A.C. Taylor. Complete set; 342 7; £49.00:
vol. I, 1894; reprinted 1979 as one vol. with vol. II, 1897; reprinted 1979; 116 5; £33.50
Index volume, Satoshi Nonome et al., 1982; 117 3; £18.50
Points of Controversy, tr. S.Z. Aung and Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1915; reprinted 1993; 002 9; £18.50
Kathaavatthu Commentary: ed. J. Minayeff, Journal 1889
Kathaavatthu Commentary: ed. N.A. Jayawickrama, 1979; 118 1; £35.50
The Debates Commentary, tr. B.C. Law, 1940; reprinted 1989; 019 3; £15.95
Yamaka, ed. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 2 vols, 1911, 1913. Complete set; 276 5; £38.50:
vol. I, 1911; reprinted 1987,1995; 274 9; £20.25
vol. II, 1913; reprinted 1987,1995; 275 7; £20.25
Yamaka Commentary, ed. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, Journal 1912
Text and Commentary:
Tika-pa.t.thaana and Commentary, ed. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 3 vols, 1921, 1922, 1923; reprinted as one vol. 1988; 279 X; £25.50
Text and commentary translation (from the Burmese Sixth Council version of the Canon):
Conditional Relations, tr. Ven. U Narada [of Rangoon]. Complete set; 257 9; £66.95:
vol. I, 1969; reprinted 1992; 028 2; £31.75
vol. II, 1981; reprinted 1993; 264 1; £37.95
Duka-pa.t.thaana, ed. Mrs. C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1906; reprinted 1988; 278 1; £25.50
PARA- AND POST-CANONICAL LITERATURE
OTHER THAN COMMENTARIES ON THE CANON
PARA-CANONICAL TEXTS, PLUS THEIR COMMENTARIES AND TRANSLATIONS
These texts are included in the Burmese edition of the Canon, but not in other versions:
Text and Commentary:
Milindapa~nha, ed. V. Trenckner, 1880; reprinted 1986 as one vol. with Milinda-.Tiikaa, ed. P.S. Jaini, 1961; 235 8; £27.50
Milinda's Questions, tr. I.B. Horner , the famous discussion on points of doctrine which purport to be between the venerable Naagaasena and king Milinda. Complete set; 263 3; £32.50;
vol. I, 1963; reprinted 1990; 046 0; £18.25
vol. II, 1964; reprinted 1991; 047 9: £18.25
Nettipakara.na. E. Hardy, 1902, in the form of a guide to commentators of the Canon; reprinted 1961, 1995; 131 5; £20.00
The Guide, tr. Ven. ~Naa.namoli, 1962; reprinted 1977; 024 X; £20.95
Pe.takopadesa, ed. A. Barua, 1949; reprinted 1982; 149 1; £12.25
Pi.taka Disclosure, tr. Ven. ~Naa.namoli, 1964; reprinted 1979; 026 6; £24.00
LATER PALI TEXTS
These are all Pali texts, except where it is indicated that they are a translation.
Abhidhammattha-Sa"ngaha and Abhidhammatthavibhaavinii-.tiikaa,, ed. H. Saddhatissa, 1989; 288 9; £22.50; ed. T.W. Rhys Davids, in Journal 1884
Translated as: Compendium of Philosophy, tr. S.Z. Aung and Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 1910, repr. 1979,1995; 000 2; £19.50
A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma, Bhikkhu Bodhi (originally edited and translated by Mahaathera Naarada): text, translation and detailed explanatory guide, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books (see UKABS opening page for details), 1993, £17.25.
Buddhadatta's Manuals: Abhidhammaavataara, Ruupaaruupavibhaaga, Vinayavinicchaya, Uttaravinicchaya, ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta, 2 vols, 1915, 1928; reprinted as one vol. 1980; 084 3; £26.50
Naamaruupapariccheda, ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta, Journal 1913-14
Naamaruupasamaasa, ed. Ven. P. Dhammarama, Journal 1915-16
Mahaava.msa, ed. W. Geiger, 1908, repr. 1958; 120 3; £20.00
Translated as: The Great Chronicle of Ceylon, tr. Wilhelm Geiger assisted by Mabel H. Bode, 1912; reprinted with Addendum by G.C. Mendis, 1980; 001 0; £20.00
Extended Mahaava.msa, ed. G.P. Malalasekera, 1937; reprinted 1988; 285 4; £16.50
Mahaava.msa-.tiikaa (Va.msatthappakaasinii), ed. G.P. Malalasekera. Complete set; 241 2; £40.50:
vol. I, 1935; reprinted 1977; 121 1; £22.75
vol. II, 1935; reprinted 1977; 122 X; £20.00
Cuulava.msa, ed. W. Geiger, 2 vols, 1925, 1927; reprinted as one vol. 1980; 088 6; £33.75
Translated as: Cuulava.msa, tr. into English by Mrs C. Mabel Rickmers from the German tr. by Wilhelm Geiger, 2 vols, 1929, 1930; reprinted 1973; 013 4; £20.95
Anaagata-Va.msa, ed. J. Minayeff, Journal 1886
Translated as: Anagatavamsa Desana, tr. J.C.Holt, publisher = ?, but available from Wisdom books (see UKABS opening page for web-sites of publishers for information)), £8.95
Cha-kesa-dhaatu-va.msa, ed. J. Minayeff, Journal 1885
Daa.thaava.msa, ed. T.W. Rhys Davids, Journal 1884
Gandhava.msa, ed. J. Minayeff, Journal 1886
Hatthavanagallavihaarava.msa,, ed. C.E.Godakumbura, 1956; 102 5; £4.00
[Mahaabodhiva.msa, ed. S.A. Strong, 1891]. Not available
Saasanava.msa, ed. M. Bode, 1897; reprinted 1996; 340 0; £17.00
[The History of the Buddha's Religion, tr. B.C. Law, 1952]. Not available
[Thuupava.msa, ed. B.C. Law, 1935]. Not available
Thuupava.msa, ed. and translated (as Chronicle of the Thuupa), N.A. Jayawickrama, 1971; 052 5; £19.00
INRODUCTORY SURVEYS OF BUDDHIST PRACTICES
Upaasakajanaala"nkaara, ed. Ven. H. Saddhatissa, 1965; 187 4; £20.00
JAATAKA TEXTS AND TEXTS ON BODHISATTAS
Dasabodhisattuppattikathaa, ed. and translated, as Birth Stories of the Ten Bodhisattas, Ven. H. Saddhatissa, 1975; 089 4;£18.00
Pa~n~naasa Jaataka (= Zimme Pa.n.naasa), ed. P.S. Jaini. Complete set; 244 7; £74.00:
vol. I: stories 1-25, 1981; 140 8; £39.75
vol. II: stories 26-50, 1983 ; 141 6; £39.75
Apocryphal Birth Stories, IA104-105. Complete set; 233 1; £57.00:
vol. I, tr. I.B. Horner and P.S. Jaini, 1985 IA104; 151 3; £31.00
vol. II, tr. P.S. Jaini, 1986 IA105; 152 1; £31.00
The Path of Freedom: Vimuttimagga of the Arahat Upatissa, translated by Rev. N.R.M.Ehara, Soma Thera and Kheminda Thera from the Chinese Gedatsu Do Ron, itself a translation of a lost third century CE Pali text which was a forerunner of the Visuddhimagga, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books (see UKABS opening page for details), 1977, £18.
Visuddhimagga (of Buddhaghosa), ed. Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, 2 vols, 1920, 1921; reprinted as one vol. 1975; 195 5; £38.75
Translated as : The Path of Purity, tr. Pe Maung Tin, 3 vols, 1923, 1929, 1931; reprinted as one vol. 1975; 008 8; £35.50
The Path of Purification, tr. ~Naa.namoli, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books (see UKABS opening page for details), 3rd. edition, 1975, £36; also 2 volumes, Shambhala, 1976.
Yogaavacara's Manual, ed. T.W. Rhys Davids, 1896; reprinted 1981; 196 3; £15.00
Manual of a Mystic, tr. F.L. Woodward, Appendix by D.B. Jayatilaka, 1916; reprinted 1982; 003 7; £13.25
Bra.h Maaleyyadevattheravatthu.m, ed. E. Denis, Journal XVIII
Buddhadatta's Manuals: Abhidhammaavataara, Ruupaaruupavibhaaga, Vinayavinicchaya, Uttaravinicchaya, ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta, 2 vols, 1915, 1928; reprinted as one vol. 1980; 084 3; £26.50
Jinacarita, ed. W.H.D. Rouse, Journal 1905
Jinakaalamaalii, ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta, 1962; 113 0; £13.00
Translated as: Epochs of the Conqueror tr. N.A. Jayawickrama, 1962; reprinted 1978; 027 4; £16.75
Jinakaalamaalii Index, Hans Penth, 1994; 324 9; £13.00
Jinaala"nkaara, ed. and translated (as Embellishments of Buddha), James Gray, 1894; reprinted 1981; 114 9; £12.50
Khudda-sikkhaa, ed. E. Muller, Journal 1883
Lokaneyyappakara.na.m, ed. P.S. Jaini, 1986; 150 5; £17.75
Mohavicchedanii, ed. Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta and A.K. Warder, 1961; 134 3; £21.95
Muulasikkhaa, ed. E. Muller, Journal 1883
Nibbaanasutta, (an apocryphal Southeast Asian Sutta). C. Hallisey, Journal XVIII
Pajjamadhu. E.R. Gooneratne, Journal 1887
Paali Niiti Texts of Burma. H. Bechert and H. Braun, 1981; 139 4; £39.50
Pa~ncagatidiipana. L. Feer, Journal 1884
Saccasa"nkhepa, ed. Ven. P. Dhammarama, Journal 1917-19
Saddhamma-sa"ngaha, ed. Ven. N. Saddhananda, Journal 1890
Saddhammopaayana, ed. R. Morris, Journal 1887
Samantakuu.tava.n.nanaa, ed. C.E. Godakumbura, 1958,1995 *B49; 157 2; £7.50
Translated as:In Praise of Mount Samanta, tr. A. Hazelwood, 1986; 153 X; £12.75
Sandesakathaa, ed. J. Minayeff, Journal 1885
Saarasa"ngaha. G. Sasaki, 1992; 302 8; £15.50
Siimaa-vivaada-vinicchaya-kathaa, ed. J. Minayeff, Journal 1887
Tela-ka.taaha-gaathaa, ed. E.R. Gooneratne, Journal 1884
Tu.n.dilovaada, ed. C. Hallisey, Journal XV
La Lokapaññatti et les idées cosmologiques du bouddhisme ancien, Eugène Denis, Paris, 1977
Saddaniiti, Helmer Smith, Lund, 1928-66
Le Siihalavatthuppakara.na. Texte Paali et traduction, ed. Jacqueline Ver Ecke, PEFEO, EFEO, Paris, 1980
Le Dasavatthuppakara.na, ed. (& French trsl.) Jacqueline Ver Ecke, PEFEO, EFEO, Paris, 1976.
NON-PALI TEXTS PUBLISHED BY PALI TEXT SOCIETY
[AAyaara"nga Sutta, Prakrit Text (Jain) ed. H. Jacobi, 1882]. Not available
[Ma.nicuu.daavadaana, Sanskrit Text ed. and translated, and Lokaananda, Tibetan Text, ed. R. Handurukande, 1967]. Not available
[Garland of Birth Stories, tr. J.S. Speyer from the Sanskrit Jaatakamaalaa, 1895]. Not available
Mahaasuutras, vol. I, (Tibetan text with Paali and Sanskrit parallels) ed. P. Skilling, 1995; 319 2; £34.25
Mahaavastu, translated J.J. Jones from the Sanskrit, Complete set; 261 7; £61.25:
vol. I, 1949; reprinted 1987; 041 X; £21.25
vol. II, 1952; reprinted 1976; 042 8£22.50
vol. III, 1956; reprinted 1983; 043 6; £22.50
The Suutra of Golden Light, tr. R.E. Emmerick from the Sanskrit Suvar.nabhaasottamasuutra, 1970, revised edn. 1990; reprinted 1992; 051 7; £11.50
The Teaching of Vimalakiirti, the Vimalakiirtinirde"sa, tr. into English S. Boin, from an annotated translation by E. Lamotte from Chinese and Tibetan sources, 1976,1994; 077 0; £39.50
JOURNAL OF THE PALI TEXT SOCIETY
Facsimile reprints, 1978, of the 23 Journals 1882-1927, available in 8 vols:
vol. I, 1882-4; 199 8; £16.25
vol. II, 1885-7; 200 5; £16.25
vol. III, 1888-9; 201 3; £12.75
vol. IV, 1890-6; 202 1; £14.75
vol. V, 1897-1907; 203 X; £18.00
vol. VI, 1908-12; 204 8; £22.50
vol. VII, 1913-23; 205 6; £18.00
vol. VIII, 1924-27; 206 4; £9.50
Index vol. by P.D. Ratnatunga and S.S. Davidson, 1973; 058 4; £3.50
The Journal was revived in 1981 and new vols will appear from time to time.
Complete set of JPTS volumes I-XXII; £355.00:
vol. IX, 1981; 207 2; £17.75
vol. X, 1985; 208 0; £17.75
vol. XI, 1987; 271 4; £17.75
vol. XII, 1988; 281 1; £17.75
vol. XIII, 1989; 290 0; £17.75
vol. XIV, 1990; 292 7; £17.75
vol. XV, 1990; 297 8; £17.75
vol. XVI, 1992; 304 4; £17.75
vol. XVII, 1992; 305 2; £17.75
vol. XVIII, 1993; 307 9; £17.75
vol. XIX, 1993; 309 5; £17.75
vol. XX, 1994; 314 1; £17.75
vol. XXI, 1995; 332 X; £17.75
vol.XXII, 1996; ; 333 8; £17.75
Complete set of the Journal (vols 1-XXII), 1996; 351 6; £355
REFERENCE AND OTHER ANCILLARY WORKS
Pali-English Dictionary, T.W. Rhys Davids and William Stede, 1921-25; reprinted 1992,1995; 059 2; £20.00
English-Pali Dictionary, Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta, 1955; reprinted 1992,1995; 060 6; £11.50
Dictionary of Paali Proper Names, G.P. Malalasekera, 2 vols., 1937, 1938; reprinted 1992; 269 2; £39.75
Similies in the Nikaayas, Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, Journal 1907, 1908, vols. V and VI
Paali Tipi.taka Concordance
Being a Concordance in Pali to the Three Baskets of Buddhist Scriptures in the Indian order of letters. Listed by F.L. Woodward and others. Arranged and edited by E.M. Hare, K.R. Norman, A.K. Warder, Mrs N. Warder, Ven. H. Saddhatissa, Ivo Fiser:
vol. I, (A-O) 1955. Complete; 266 8; £59.75
vol. II, (K-N) 1973,1995. Complete; 267 6; £77.00
-- All parts of Vols. I and II also available separately
vol. III, 1995:
Part 1, (-pa - pa~ncama) 1963; 227 7; £9.75
Part 2, (pa~ncamaka - pati.t.thissati) 1968; 228 5; £9.75
Part 3, (pati.t.thaapeti - paripuura) 1969; 229 3; £9.75
Part 4, (paripuurati - paa.na) 1971; 230 7; £9.75
Part 5, (paa.ni - puura) 1972; 231 5; £9.75
Part 6, (puura - bahu) 1984; 232 3; £9.75
vol. III, (P - Baaraa.naseyyaka) 1993 Complete; 308 7; £55.00
No more parts will be issued.
Concordance of Buddhist Birth Stories Grey, 2nd edition, 1995. [1st edition 1990 - no longer available]; 326 5; £32.50
Paali A.t.thakathaa Correspondence Table, Sodo Mori et al, 1994; 312 5; £13.00
Where's That Sutta?: A Subject Index to the Anguttara-Nikaaya, Phra Khantipalo, Journal vol.X, 1985, pp37-154.
NON-PTS REFERENCE WORKS:
Critical Pali Dictionary, ed. V.Trenkner, D.Anderson, H.Smith and Others, Copenhagen, The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters.
Vol. I 1-11 + epil., 1924-48, price DKK 1.440
Vol. II 1-17 1960-70, price DKK 2.530
Vol. III 1-3 , price DKK 1.200
Nørre Søgade 35,
1016 Copenhagen K. Denmark
For further information, contact Charlotte Hersaas, firstname.lastname@example.org
An Analysis of the Paali Canon: With a Bibliography, ed. Russell Webb, which gives an overview and brief descriptions of the contents of the Canon, with information on translations, anthologies, grammars, and a section on the commentaries, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka; available from Wisdom Books, 1975, approx. £4.00.
Paali Literature: Including the Canonical Literature in Prakrit and Sanskrit of All Hiinayaana Schools of Buddhism, K.R.Norman, in J.Gonda, A History of Indian Literature (vol.VII, fasc. 2), Wiesbaden, Harrassowitz, 1983
A Handbook of Paali Literature, Oskar von Hinueber, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin and New York, 1996
OTHER ANCILLARY WORKS
[Introduction to Pali: a primer and reader, A.K. Warder 1963, 2nd edn. 1974; Hardback], Not available; Paperback: Introduction to Pali: a primer and reader, A.K. Warder, 1963, new edn. 1991, revised reprint, 1995; 197 1; £5.95
Pali Metre, A.K. Warder, 1967; 061 4; £16.75
Geiger: Paali Grammar, revised edn. by K.R. Norman, 1994; 318 4; £13.50
Paperback: Geiger: Paali Grammar, revised edn. by K.R. Norman, 1994; 315 X; £7.00
Guide to Conditional Relations, Ven. U Narada [of Rangoon], vol. I, 1979; 198 X; £22.00(Part II of this published by the Department of Religious Affairs, Rangoon, Burma, 1986).
Tape cassette from Introduction to Pali, Ven. H. Saddhatissa (inc. VAT) 268 4; £9.50
Catalogue of the Nevill Collection of Sinhalese Manuscripts in The British Library, K.D. Somadasa:
vol. I, 1987; 273 0; £27.75
vol. II, 1989; 286 2; £27.75
vol. III, 1990; 300 1; £27.75
vol. IV, 1990; 301 X; £27.75
vol. VII, 1995; 334 6; £27.75
The PTS can also supply vols. V and VI (pub. 1993), on request, to PTS members ONLY.
Collected Papers, K.R. Norman:
vol. I, 1990; 295 1; £19.50
vol. II, 1991; 296 X; £19.50
vol. III, 1992; 299 4; £19.50
vol. IV, 1993; 306 0; £19.50
vol. V, 1994; 322 2; £19.50
vol. VI, 1995; 336 2; £19.50
Selected Papers, O. von Hinueber, 1995; 323 0; £19.50
SACRED BOOKS OF THE BUDDHISTS
Titles marked with an asterisk* are no longer available
- Dialogues of the Buddha vol. I
- Dialogues of the Buddha vol. II
- Dialogues of the Buddha vol. III
- *Further Dialogues of the Buddha vol. I
- *Further Dialogues of the Buddha vol. II
- *Minor Anthologies vol. I (Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids)
- Minor Anthologies vol. II
- *Minor Anthologies vol. III (B.C. Law)
- Book of the Discipline vol. I
- Book of the Discipline vol. II
- *Minor Anthologies vol. IV (Kennedy/Gehman)
- Book of the Discipline vol. III
- Book of the Discipline vol. IV
- *Woven Cadences
- Mahaavastu translation vol. I
- *Saasanava.msa translation
- Mahaavastu translation vol. II
- Mahaavastu translation vol. III
- Book of the Discipline vol. V
- Inception of the Discipline
- Milinda's Questions vol. I
- Milinda's Questions vol. II
- *Ma.nicuu.daavadaana Text: and translation
- Book of the Discipline vol. VI
- The Suutra of Golden Light
- Chronicle of the Thuupa
- Birth-Stories of the Ten Bodhisattas
- Minor Anthologies vol. IV (I.B. Horner)
- Minor Anthologies vol. III (I.B. Horner)
- The Teaching of Vimalakiirti
- Clarifier of the Sweet Meaning
- Peta Stories
- Vimaana Stories
- In Praise of Mount Samanta
- Apocryphal Birth Stories vol. I
- Apocryphal Birth Stories vol. II
- Dispeller of Delusion vol. I
- Dispeller of Delusion vol. II
- The Udaana
- Udaana Commentary: vol. I
- Mahaasuutras vol. I
- Udaana Commentary: vol. II
Titles marked with an asterisk * are no longer available.
- Psalms of the Early Buddhists vol. I
- Compendium of Philosophy
- The Great Chronicle of Ceylon
- Psalms of the Early Buddhists vol. II
- Points of Controversy
- Manual of a Mystic
- Book of Kindred Sayings vol. I
- The Expositor vol. I
- The Expositor vol. II
- Book of Kindred Sayings vol. II
- The Path of Purity vol. I
- A Designation of Human Types
- Book of Kindred Sayings vol. III
- Book of Kindred Sayings vol. IV
- (no longer available)
- Book of Kindred Sayings vol. V
- The Path of Purity vol. II
- Minor Chronicle of Ceylon (Cuulava.msa) vol. I
- Minor Chronicle of Ceylon (Cuulava.msa) vol. II
- (no longer available)
- The Path of Purity vol. III
- Book of Gradual Sayings vol. I
- (no longer available)
- Book of Gradual Sayings vol. II
- Book of Gradual Sayings vol. III
- Book of Gradual Sayings vol. IV
- Book of Gradual Sayings vol. V
- The Debates Commentary
- Middle Length Sayings vol. I
- Middle Length Sayings vol. II
- Middle Length Sayings vol. III
- Minor Readings and Illustrator
- The Guide
- Discourse on Elements
- Pi.taka Disclosure
- Epochs of the Conqueror
- Conditional Relations vol. I
- Elders' Verses vol. I
- The Book of Analysis
- Elders' Verses vol. II
- Buddhist Psychological Ethics
- Conditional Relations vol. II
- The Path of Discrimination
- *The Group of Discourses (vol. I)
- The Group of Discourses vol. II
ABOUT THE PALI TEXT SOCIETY
(Details taken from the List of Issues 1996-97)
The Society was founded in 1881 by T.W. Rhys Davids "to foster and promote the study of Pali Texts". It publishes Paali texts in roman characters, translations in English and ancillary works including dictionaries, concordances, books for students of Paali and a Journal which is issued on an ad hoc basis. As this List of Issues shows, most of the classical Texts and commentaries have now been edited and many works translated into English. The Society aims to keep almost all its publications in print and to produce two new volumes each year.
The Society is non-profit making. It depends on the sale of its publications, on members' subscriptions and on the generosity of donors. It also provides Research Studentships for a number of people working in the field of Paali studies.
There are two categories of members, sponsoring and ordinary. All members may attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting, and purchase any of the Society's publications direct from the Society at the current rate of discount. At present members' discount is being held at the special rate of 20%.
Sponsoring members also receive free (and post-free) one volume each year. They may choose which volume they wish to receive from the Society's current list, with the exception of the dictionaries and the Paali Tipi.taka Concordance. If the Hon. Secretary receives no message to the contrary, they will receive the volume nominated by the Council, normally the Society's latest publication. Sponsoring membership costs £16 for one year or £70 for five years.
Ordinary membership confers no rights to receive publications free (or post-free). It costs£7 for one year or £30 for five years.
Presidents of the Pali Text Society
T.W. Rhys Davids, F.B.A., D.Sc., Ph.D., LL.D., D.Litt., 1881-1922
Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, M.A., D.Litt., 1922-1942
W.H.D. Rouse, M.A., D.Litt., 1942-1950
W. Stede, Ph.D., 1950-1958
Miss I.B. Horner, O.B.E., M.A., D.Litt., 1959-1981
K.R. Norman, M.A., F.B.A., 1981-1994
R.F. Gombrich, M.A., D.Phil., 1994-
President & Treasurer: R.F. Gombrich, M.A., D.Phil.
Vice President: Ven. Dr Walpola Rahula, B.A., PhD., D.Litt., LL.D.
Hon. Secretary: Dr S. B. Hamilton
Director: Dr G.A. Evison
Director: Dr E.G. Kahrs
Director: Mr R.G.A. Youard
Director: K.R. Norman
Australia: Mr. T. Burgess, "Terowa" RMB 213b, St. Arnaud 3478, Victoria.
India: Prof. Dipak Kumar Barua, Block no. 1, Flat no. 1, Government Housing Estate, 40/1 R.N. Chowdhury Road (Tangra Road), Calcutta 700 015.
Japan: Prof. Sodo Mori, 17-5 Niiza 1-chome, Niiza-shi, Saitama 352.
Malaysia: Yogi Dhammaloka, (Mr. Tan Aun Phaik), 7T Jalan Delima, 11700 Island Glades, Penang.
Myanmar: Prof. U Ko Lay, "Zeyar Shwe Mye", State Pariyatti Saasana University, Kaba Aye, Mayangon, Yangon P O 11061.
New Zealand: Dr. R. S. Gooneratne, P.O. Box 28-522, Remuera, Auckland.
Thailand: The Siam Society, G.P.O. Box 65, Bangkok 10501.
U.S.A: Prof. George Bond, Department of Religion, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60201.
In 1986 the Pali Text Society instituted an I.B. Horner Memorial Lecture in gratitude for our former President's generous bequest to the Society. The next lecture will be in 1997.
ORDERING FROM THE PALI TEXT SOCIETY:
PALI TEXT SOCIETY,
73 Lime Walk, Headington,
Oxford OX3 7AD
All ISBN numbers printed in this file are preceded by the digits: 0 86013.
Please note that POSTAGE is EXTRA. Postage costs are calculated according to the weight of the book or books ordered. Pro Forma invoices are available on request.
(note members' discount of 20%)
- By cheque or bank draft in £ Sterling.
- By Eurocheque.
- By cheque in U.S. dollars. Please add sufficient to cover U.K. bank conversion charges.
- By postal or money orders or by currency in £ Sterling or U.S. dollars.
- By transfer direct to our bank or Girobank accounts.
- By credit card.
Barclays Bank plc,
Oxford East Branch,
105 London Road,
Oxford OX3 9AH.
Sort code 20-65-21.
Account number 9068 5887.
Girobank: Account number 233 1357.
Credit cards: We accept Access, Amex, Mastercard and Visa.
Receipts: Receipts are not issued unless requested.
73 Lime Walk,
Oxford OX3 7AD.
Tel: (01865) 67575.
Fax: +44 1865 750079.
AGENTS IN NORTH AMERICA
(for Trade & Non-Member Customers):
361 Newbury Street,
Tel: 617 536 3358.
Web page: http://www.wisdompubs.org/pts.html
DIGITAL EDITIONS OF THE PAALI CANON AND COMMENTARIES
Digital edition of the Pali Text Society edition of the Pali Canon on CD-ROM, with Search engine:
Palitext version1.0: CD-ROM for PCs
Produced by and available from:
The Dhammakaya Foundation,
ISBN 974-8235-87-4 ; 1996; $150
Digital edition of the Thai version of the Pali Canon and its Commentaries on CD-ROM, with Search engine:
BUDSIR on CD-ROM : A copy of the Thai Tripitaka and its commentaries. As yet, without cross-referencing to pagination of Pali Text Society editions. Developed by staff at Mahidol University Computing Center, Thailand.:
Dr Supachai Tangwongsan,
Director, Mahidol University Computing Center
For detailed information, Gopher to: mucc.mahidol.ac.th
and on the main menu, select the topic: BUDSIR
or world wide web: Click here
The price for individuals is $299.00 + $6.00 Freight charge (around $600 for institutions)
To purchase, send fax or email Mahidol or to:
Ms Linda Massey,
The American Academy of Religion,
819 Houston Mill Road,
Atlanta, GA 30329
Electronic Publications Ordering Department
P.O. Box 15399
Atlanta, Georgia 30333-0399
Fax 404/727-2348 . The ordering Code is 01 80 20 a.
Vipassana Research Institute (VRI) Chattha Sangaya (Sixth Council) Edition
CD including commentaries and sub-commentaries, 135 volumes, in Roman, Burmese and Devanagri scripts
Available spring or early summer 1997. For information:
E-mail: TipitakaCD@vrpa.com or Click here
Sri Lanka Tipi.taka Project (SLTP) of the International Buddhist Research and Information Centre (IBRIC) :
a complete set of the Buddha Jayanti Tripitaka edition, originally in Sinhala script, together with Paracanonical works and the Visuddhimagga. Available on-line from the Journal of Buddhist Ethics web-site, http://jbe.la.psu.edu/ . This electronic edition is not yet fully proof-read, but the files can be freely down-loaded for personal use.
Source: Association for Buddhist Studies, U.K.
[Back to English Index]